WomanHit.ru studied foreign research to tell about the real impact of chewing gum on the bodyKsenia Парфенова5 APR 2019 17:4715230
studied popular issledovaniyami: pixabay.com
The first semblance of a chewing gum made from the resin of coniferous trees — a natural rubber, which obezzarajivatmi mouth and removed the leftovers. Now gum is prepared from synthetic rubbers and sweeteners, but otherwise its properties are not changed. Want to know if chewing gum is harmful or is it a myth?
The chewing gum composition
The main ingredients of bubble gum synthetic rubber, resins, fillers, preservatives, softeners:
- Rubber is needed to combine all the ingredients and make the gum stretchy and elastic.
- Resin a positive effect on oral health — kill bacteria, strengthen gums.
- The fillers give the chewing gum a pleasant taste and smell.
- Preservatives extend the shelf life of chewing gum.
- Softeners do not allow the gum to harden quickly. Typically, this use of paraffin, beeswax and vegetable oil.
in the composition of chewing gum chemical and natural componentpath: pixabay.com
The safety of ingredients
Production technologists are working on the composition, testing his safety in practice — tested on animals and people. The composition can include ingredients that are potentially harmful to health, but their concentration is too small to cause real harm when the recommended consumption rates. We list these ingredients:
- Butylated hydroxytoluene is a chemical preservative that does not give chewing gum to deteriorate. Some international studies have shown that this ingredient can cause cancer. However the experiments were conducted on animals, so the impact on the human body is not proven.
- Titanium dioxide — used as a dye to impart a white color. It is often used in the food industry. Conducted on rats have shown that high doses of this substance disrupts the nervous system and internal organs. However, these results were only part of individuals, the impact on humans has not been studied.
- Aspartame is a synthetic sweetener that is often added to food for with diabetes. Some scholars argue that it can provoke obesity.
Stress reduction and memory improvement
American scientists conducted a study, the results of which the group chewed gum during the preparation of the exams, and the final test showed better results than those who did not — the average score in the test for long memory was 36% higher, on short — term 24% higher. It is interesting that at first the gum was distracting from the experimental tasks, but after a while their brain activity and concentration increased significantly. Researchers believe that the positive effect is due to the blood flow to the brain, which needs to recognize the food and to evaluate its safety. The reduction of the stress hormone cortisol is associated with primeval instincts — the body taking food, support livelihoods, and therefore it threatens nothing.
proven that chewing gum improves panatipata: pixabay.com
Effect on weight loss
Contrary raskhozhesti opinions, most scientists are confident in the effectiveness of chewing gum in the fight against excess weight. One pad less than 2 calories at the same time she is as sweet as a piece of cake or ice cream. Replacing sweets with gum, you are deceiving the appetite. However, researchers are still arguing about the fidelity of this theory, and then refuting and proving once again its veracity.
Protection of teeth and removing bad smell
The experiments have shown that xylitol contained in gum is better than other preservatives fights cavities. It prevents the growth of bacteria in the oral cavity, because it contains artificial sweeteners instead of natural. At the same time chewing gum after a meal causes salivation, which helps wash food debris from the tooth surface. The anatomical shape of the gum enveloping the teeth, allow it to even get to the hard to reach areas.
Cons of chewing gum
Consumption of chewing gum separately from food causes salivation, which gives signal to the brain, and then in the digestive tract of the imminent arrival of food. We throw away the gum, while the stomach has already allocated an acidic juice, ready to break down dietary fiber. This increases acidity, which causes bad breath, and in the long term gastrointestinal disease. Also, the negative effect on health the process of mastication — tense jaw muscles the temporal region. This can cause headaches and rapid wear of the joints.
Suggest to chew gum no more than 3 times a day after meals. Choose instead of chemical natural gum, resins and vegetable juices, then the harm will be minimal.